Does it seem like your children are always sick, or sick more often than you ever remember being? Children are more susceptible to germs because their tiny body hasn’t had enough exposure to every germ that’s ready to jump from one child to the next. Here are some great ways to help strengthen your child’s immune system giving them a fighting chance to defend themselves against all germs, foreign and domestic!
1. As much as your kids may put up a fuss, don’t buckle under pressure. You will never be “the worst Mom in the world”! Their immune system is first and foremost strengthened by a healthy diet, so you have to feed them health. Their immune systems will suffer if they’re constantly being bombarded with foods their digestive system cannot tolerate, food additives, preservatives, and refined sugar. Just like with an adult, when a child eats a food that their body cannot digest, the body is weakened because the little organs have to figure out how to digest these foods. Corn, dairy, and wheat are the main culprits but there can be others. Sugar is a huge immune suppressor. To keep kids well, focus their diet on a variety of fresh vegetables and fruit, raw nuts, whole grains and beans and try to avoid the “big eight”!
2. The most common allergenic foods, also known as the ‘big eight’ are: Eggs, Fish, Dairy, Corn, Peanuts, Shellfish, Soy, and Wheat. It is best to eliminate these foods from your child’s diet. Here’s the challenge. These foods are in just about everything packaged, so in order to eliminate them, it’s very helpful to choose foods as close to their natural form as possible.
3. Probiotics are healthy bacteria in our stomachs. They protect our digestive tracts, by helping us digest food, rid our body of toxins, and shield us from invading bad bacteria and viruses. When your child’s gut bacteria is out of balance, they are more susceptible to germ attacks. Give your child probiotics containing lactobacillus and bifidobacteria strains between 5 and 20 billion per day depending on age. Here is an excellent brand: Renew Life for Kids, chewable or gummies.
4. Help calm your child’s stress and anxiety level by being calm yourself. Kids suffer when they are over-scheduled and don’t have time to simply do nothing. It’s ok to stay home and rest. Children’s bodies have the same response to stress that adults’ bodies do. When their cortisol stress hormones are not stressed, their immune system is not stressed. Their bodies need to take a break every now and then for their immune systems to thrive.
5. Make sure your children are getting enough good sleep. Depending on their age, children need between ten and 14 hours of sleep per day. And it’s the quality of sleep that matters most. For proper secretion of melatonin, their sleep hormone, children need to sleep in the dark. I suggest removing your child’s night light. I know it seems comforting and you think it’s child abuse, but light is disrupting their sleep. Try putting the night light in the hallway instead and leave the door cracked. If you have infants and are constantly in and out of the nursery, the light is for you. Kinderglo products are the best and so cute. One last thing, since electromagnetic frequency has also been shown to affect sleep quality, make sure your child’s room is unplugged, especially from all electronic devices.
6. Remember that fever helps fight infection. Although many times we are fearful when our child’s temperature is high, it’s important to recognize that fever is only a sign of illness and not an illness itself. Fever is the body’s response to an infection and without the fever, their ability to fight the illness is weakened. Obviously, pay close attention to their temperature, but don’t panic too soon.
7. The best supplements to boost a child’s immune system are vitamin D3 and zinc. This is my favorite supplement for strengthening a child’s immune system. Nature’s Plus produces very high-quality supplements.
I really hope these suggestions help. There are just too many cartwheels to turn, pull-ups to pull, bubbles to blow and ropes to jump to be sick!
I love your children to Health,