Hey My Friend –
Have you been told your blood pressure is too high and you want to know what to do?
First off, take a long walk in a peaceful location and take some really deep breaths as you walk. That may sound like the last thing you should do, but honestly it’s the best thing you can do.
It will give you time to clear your mind and to think about what to do next. Walk as far as you can and force your mind to think about nothing but your health. The idea is not to separate your current blood pressure diagnosis from your mind and body because the two are connected.
Your blood pressure is YOURS.
Ask yourself some tough questions like what have you been doing to cause your blood pressure to be too high? Whatever choices you have made in your yesterdays, are determining your level of health today. These choices are making the blood pressure cuff read the numbers you were given; nothing else.
You may be quick to say that it is hereditary or it is because of your age. Blood pressure is 100% affected by what you have eaten in the past, what you currently eat, how you think, and how active you are. It really isn’t possible to blame it on something else.
You are YOU and only YOU can make choices that will determine your future health.
Alright, I get it…now what do I do?
You have three choices:
1. Completely ignore your body’s warning signs that it needs your help and hope it’ll go away.
2. Take a prescription medication and suppress your body’s warning signs that it needs your help.
3. Take responsibility for your body and help it to regain its wellbeing.
So what are 3 diseases that will result if I choose #1 or #2?
- Heart attack
- Type 2 Diabetes
Here are the top 4 natural choices you can make to remedy your high blood pressure.
1. The most important dietary goal is achieving your ideal healthy body weight. Weight loss will lead to significant improvement in and even complete elimination of high blood pressure. Calculate your ideal weight here.
We may all like the 1983 Miller formula because it gives us an extra few pounds. Just make sure it is an achievable goal to reach. Write that number on the refrigerator and the pantry door. It can be a deterrent to choosing unhealthy food or an encouragement to choose healthy food.
2. Increase the portion of plant foods that you eat every day. A plant-based diet results in lower blood pressure because plants contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals you need to be well. Plants also contain micronutrients, proteins, water, essential fatty acids, fats, fiber and naturally occurring sugar. All of these factors have a favorable influence on blood pressure.
Increasing fruits and vegetable intake has been proven to lower blood pressure. This is because plants increase your level of antioxidants and if you have high blood pressure your body is under increased oxidative stress.
All fruits and vegetables that are raw or slightly steamed are a crucial addition to your daily diet. Eating a vast variety is also crucial for they each contain different vitamins and minerals that the others do not have.
To be very specific, the most beneficial foods to choose are: celery, garlic, onions, raw nuts and seeds, wild caught cold water fish like sockeye salmon, green leafy vegetables like kale, mustard greens and Swiss chard because of their rich content of calcium and magnesium, whole gluten-free grains such as quinoa, amaranth and millet, foods rich in Vitamin C, such as broccoli and citrus fruits and foods rich in flavonoids including berries, cherries, grapes.
3. Reduce your stress. While stress is inevitable, it is important to have a plan in place when you feel your heart beating at a faster pace than usual. There is always going to be things in this life that we don’t agree with; especially other people.
Your mind and how you think will cause you more stress than anything, so it is important to pay attention to how you are thinking and get rid of the destructive thinking that results in sickness. You see, we cannot choose what other people do, but we can choose how we respond to what others do. We cannot live anyone else’s life but our own so it is important to choose to stop trying and spend time sorting through the bad thinking choices we are making. This is a constant effort; nothing easy about it.
4. Regular exercise is a must. Have a variety of choices. And please don’t overdo it or you won’t continue. There are apps for running, YouTube videos for yoga, exercise channels, gyms on every block and sidewalks in every neighborhood. And of course, it is key to buy cute exercise clothing that encourages you to exercise.
It’s just like wearing lipstick to a big meeting. Ugly heavy sweat pants and baggy t-shirts will not make you feel like exercising. The key is to wear tight fitting stretchy pants so you are motivated to make them looser. Please do not buy those crazy looking pants. Not even models look good in them. Basic black works.
So now you have two choices:
1. Choose to ignore this blog post, laugh at the lipstick comment and continue to gamble with your future tomorrows.
2. Choose to take personal responsibility for your health. YOUR HEALTH. No one else is responsible but you.
I am here to walk beside you to encourage and guide you as you make solid, lasting wellness choices. The health decisions you make today will most definitely define your health in the future. Please let me know you are walking this path toward wholeness and I promise to help you every step of the way.
The message of basic nutrition will never change and I have been teaching it for over 30 years. Basic nutrition is not a fad nor will it ever be, therefore you won’t have to ever switch to a new money making gimmick. What I teach is not complicated. It really is pretty simple: Gotta eat PLANTS!
YOUR BODY, YOUR CHOICE.
I love you to health,
Deuteronomy 30:19 God said: “Today I am giving you a choice of two ways. And I ask heaven and earth to be witnesses of your choice. You can choose life or death. The first choice will bring a blessing. The other choice will bring a curse. So choose life!